To find your hours or your employee hours go to…
In the right hand column type in your contractor number or plumbing license number.

We welcome members and non-members of our association to our plumbing code classes and we can provide the necessary 12 hours credit that is required to renew your plumbing license.  In addition the UPHCA with this change can give concurrent credit towards your contractor license that will renew in 2017. 

Q.  How many hours are required?
A. 12 individual hours.  All 12 hours may be in code or broken down into 8 hours code or “core” and 4 hours “professional”

Q. What is “Core” and what is “Professional” ?
A.   R156-55c-303b. Continuing Education – Standards.

(1) Required Hours. Pursuant to Sections 58-55-302.7 and 58-55-303, each licensee shall complete 12 hours of continuing education during each two year license term. A minimum of eight hours shall be core education. The remaining four hours may be professional education.

(2) “Core continuing education” is defined as education covering:
(a) International Building, Mechanical, Plumbing Codes and Utah building code amendments as adopted or proposed for adoption;
(b) the Americans with Disability Act;
(c) medical gas, National Fire Protection Association 13D and 54; and
(d) hydronics and waste water treatment.

(3) “Professional continuing education” is defined as education covering:
(a) energy conservation, management training, new technology, plan reading; and
(b) lien laws and Utah construction registry.

(4) Non-acceptable course subject matter includes the following types of courses and other similar courses:
(a) mechanical office and business skills, such as typing, speed reading, memory improvement and report writing;
(b) physical well-being or personal development, such as personal motivation, stress management, time management, or dress for success;
(c) presentations by a supplier or a supplier representative to promote a particular product or line of products; and
(d) meetings held in conjunction with the general business of the licensee oremployer.

Q. As a contractor, do I need 12 hours plus the 6 hours for contractor C.E.?
A. No…the 12 hours count toward the 6 hours required for contractors C.E.  However, a reminder…the license cycles are not coordinated, i.e., plumbers license runs Dec. 2010 to Nov. 2012 – contractors license runs from Dec. 2009 thru  Nov. 2011.  You need to have your six hours this year for your contractor requirements.  Remember…either you or an employee can fulfill your contractor requirements; make sure you take classes that qualify for both.

Q.  As an employer, is this going to cost me a fortune to make sure my employees have continuing education?
A.  NO…the individual licensee is responsible to find the course, pay for the course, and for fulfilling their requirements.  Of course, it is a good idea to stay on top of this BUT, it is their license and their responsibility.   Suggestion:  Have your plumbers provide you with a printout of their hours quarterly or semi-annually.

Q. How do I find and signup for courses?
A.  Go to… go to  – Click on Plumber

Q. Are there online courses?
A. We will have them available by late September.

Q. Are the courses Statewide?
A. Yes

Questions or coments… contact UPHCA office.