Creation of the UPHCA Apprenticeship Academy – Published January 2023
The Utah Plumbing & Heating Contractors Association is excited to announce the creation of an online Plumbing Apprenticeship Academy starting in January 2023. This DOPL and DOL approved apprenticeship program is designed to provide the individual student with achievement in an alternative way of learning to meet the educational requirements for being an apprentice plumber. Some of the features to this academy are:
- Open Enrollment – Enroll at any time. The program is designed to a 12-month calendar curriculum.
- Pace of Learning – Those who have more experience or highly motivated can typically move through the curriculum at a quicker pace.
- Convenience/Flexibility – The curriculum is all online and can be accessed at anytime and anywhere to better meet the needs of the individual’s work schedule and personal time. There will be live webinars and in person lab experiences 6 times/year that will be required from all students.
- Individualized Mentoring/Coaching – The program is designed for the student to be successful with individualized help, encouragement, and monitoring. Only those individuals who are committed and have the motivation for this style of learning will be accepted into the program. The employer will also be part of this process. An instructor will be assigned to each student to assist, mentor, and monitor progress.
- Statewide – This program is for individuals living anywhere in the state. They will be required to attend 6 labs during the year at a location that might require some traveling, however.
- On the surface the tuition seems more expensive, nevertheless when comparing the textbooks that are included and other incidental fees from other programs the potential student will find it comparable to other in classroom programs. When you also include the advantages listed the apprentice will receive a great value in their investment in this type of program.
- The curriculum used is recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment & Training Administration, Office of Apprenticeship, and Utah Department of Professional Licensing (DOPL).
- Please Note: Students can transfer from other apprenticeship programs with approval. However, there is no mechanism for transfer to a technical college apprenticeship program once enrolled in the UPHCA Academy.
What the UPHCA has been doing in 2022? – Published January 2023
- Working with DOPL on various issues of concern! This is becoming more important every year! A couple of the most recent Maintenance Exception and the Incidental Plumbing Rule (Handyman). We have tightened up the Maintenance Exception substantially and the proposed rule change for the ‘handyman’ also tightens and defines better the issue of handyman scope of work.
- Watching and navigating though issues the Utah State Legislature! This is a must for the industry! Legislative overreach is always an issue and concern. The association retained a Lobbyist Firm 5 years ago to represent our industry and trade at the legislature.
- Conference in St. George in the spring provided excellent information. You can view any of the training seminars by going on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNeFGO0aQf0jCieuMvLxIUfPqyLI9Snrd
- CE Classes for license renewal both live in classroom and online classes. We have the best classes in the industry at a discount for members of the UPHCA.
- Working on additional benefits for member companies including an ‘Qualified’ Program for the industry.
- Outreach to high school students to consider our trade.
- Other networking activities.
- Out of State Recruitment Program – look at our website under the tab “Moving to Utah”.
- The UPHCA Apprenticeship Academy received approval in November 2022 to start an online school to provide more flexibility for students and employers.
- Look at our new website, much more functional and provides great information: uphca.net
- We have developed our ‘blog’ and a new Pipeline Podcasts https://uphca.net/about-uphca/blog/.
- The UPHCA is the only independent Voice of the Plumbing & Mechanical Industry in the State of Utah.